English learners and all young children succeed at writing when they have a content and language-rich environment to draw from–when writing is taught in the context of learning about science, social studies, and other content areas. This workshop is for K-2 teachers who want to create a fun and effective writing curriculum that immerses students in learning about the world and our language.
- Learn about the “genre approach” and the stages of the integrated curriculum cycle:
1. building the field, 2. modeling the text type, 3. joint construction, and 4. independent writing
- Learn how this approach meets the needs of ELs
- Learn how this approach addresses the Common Core Standards
- Experience a condensed version of the integrated curriculum cycle
- Come away with a wealth of practical strategies to use in their classrooms
Michelle Kellman has 20 years of experience as a K-3 classroom teacher, literacy and ELD coach, and student teacher supervisor in Oakland and Hayward. She is a National Board Certified Teacher (English as a New Language) and former Project GLAD trainer. This is her eighth year as a BAWP Teacher Consultant.
ALL ABOUT CONTEXT: SUCCESSFUL STRATEGIES FOR K-2 ENGLISH LEARNERS
June 20 – 24, 2016
9:00 am – 12:00 pm
Grades: K – 2nd
Registration Fee $330